Sunday, January 22, 2012

My food now looks pretty!

This week's '52 Weeks to an Organized Home' challenge was to organize the pantry, spices and food storage areas. Fortunately, we did a MAJOR cleaning job on the pantry in May last year after having some....issues. We've managed to keep the pantry in decent shape since then, but it was definitely time for a tune-up. Here's the pantry before I started working on it one evening this week...



This bottom shelf was really the worst part of the pantry...


I worked for about 45 minutes purging, sorting and cleaning. I grabbed a couple of spare baskets I had in the house to corral more items on the shelves, and here is the result.



Even the canned goods shelves got a bit of sprucing up...


Saturday, I decided to tackle the spice drawer. It's located adjacent to the cooktop, which is handy. We've even attempted to keep it somewhat neat and orderly by having a slanted organizer. However, I'm married to a bit of a spice hoarder. The drawer was crammed with spices galore, including several duplicates...



After I emptied the drawer of all the spices, I discovered this (which I was almost too embarrassed to post)...


So, I spent another 30 or 45 minutes cleaning out the drawer, washing the organizer, eliminating duplicates, and purging spices that I know we will not use. Here's the drawer after...


This week really wasn't bad. Our food storage areas were relatively decent (minus the spice spillage), so it didn't take long to whip them into shape.

We are still managing to keep the kitchen counters free of clutter, and the sink empty most of the time. Our kitchen is really looking and functioning much better. I even got a jump start on next week's challenge by defrosting and cleaning the beverage refrigerator this weekend.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Looking good! : ) Don't you feel so good to organize? I love it!

Bec said...

I love your pantry! You have done a great job!

Ruth Kelly said...

Where can I get the spice drawer organizer?

Ruth Kelly said...

Where can I get the spice drawer organizer?