Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm a slacker...

Last week I blogged about accepting the 52 Week Organized Home Challenge. This week's challenge was to organize/declutter/clean your kitchen cabinets and drawers. I must say, I have been a bit of a slacker this week. Well, actually a big slacker. I'm going to blame it on a VERY hectic work and home schedule this week. And, of course, I just flat didn't get it done.

I will say, though, that overall my kitchen cabinets are pretty organized. I purge items on a fairly regular basis, so I don't have too much excess and unused stuff lingering in the dark recesses of the kitchen cabinets. Additionally, it just wasn't feasible for me to tackle the whole kitchen in one week. So, I decided to start with a few drawers that were looking the worse for wear, if you know what I mean.

We have a small kitchen island with a single drawer. That drawer had become a catch all for everything from batteries to coupons to fabric swatches. Kuh-Ray-Zee!! In addition, we recently lost two 'junk' drawers when we installed a sink in our utility room. A bunch of that stuff had ended up in the kitchen/breakfast room as well.

I decided to make a mini-office drawer in the island to keep a few basic office supplies handy. I also took advantage of an EMPTY storage box for small hardware (screws, nails, etc.), and purged all of that stuff neatly from the house and sent it to live in the garage. I don't have a 'before' photo of the island drawer because I just decided one evening to dive right in. Here's the 'during' of the process...


Here's the after. I even segregated the writing utensils. Toby is often looking for red or green pens (he IS a teacher, after all;)), so I put all of them in a single container. I also culled all the pens that don't work and the extra 37 mechanical pencils with no lead! Here's the after...


Today, I decided to tackle the drawer immediately under our cook top. It houses pot holders, oven mitts, and a variety of other kitchen paraphernalia. It was a hot mess, truthfully...


I pulled everything out, grabbed a few extra sorting trays I happened to have hanging out in the utility room, and within about 30 minutes, the drawer looked like this...

Of course, this also resulted in a clean out and organize job on the adjacent drawer which houses similar items. Again, no before, but here's the after...

I've decided to allow this 'week's' challenge to span several weeks. I will tackle a single cabinet or drawer every week until the entire kitchen is done. Most of the weeks have a challenge which will still leave me plenty of time to clean and declutter a kitchen cabinet as well.

So, there it is. I'm a slacker. But, I'm a slacker with three really organized kitchen drawers!

No comments: