Saturday, December 31, 2011

More Pinterest Inspiration...and a DIY!

I've posted previously about how much I am addicted to enjoy Pinterest. I love looking at home decor, fashion and crafty inspiration. A few days ago, I came across this...

...and fell in love. I clicked through to the tutorial, and decided it was something I could do for Sophia's room. Given that I am a scrapbooker/crafter, I had pretty much all the supplies on had. Here's what I did.

First, I gathered supplies. These included brads of different sizes and colors and lots and lots of buttons...


Next, I printed out a large 'S' using Photoshop. You can use a simple word processing software like Microsoft Word to get the same effect. I chose a simple font and simply enlarged it until it was the size I wanted. After printing, cut out the letter and 'center' it on a piece of white card stock (you'll want a very heavy weight paper or card stock because it actually gets pretty heavy)...


Then, trace around the letter lightly using a pencil. This line will pretty much be covered, but you want it to be light as there may be a few small sections that don't get covered (I had this happen; no big deal)...

(apologies for the poor photo quality)

The next step is to use larger buttons and brads to fill in the majority of the space. Try to get your items to line up with the edge of your letter as much as possible. I used a roll-on scrapbook adhesive to attach the buttons and punched through the paper for the brads. Don't worry if you still see lots of white space. That will get filled up in a bit.


Then, begin adding smaller buttons and brads between and on top of the first layer of items. This is what my letter looked like when I finished...


After looking back at the letter in the tutorial, I realize that she used MANY more brads and buttons than I did. That's okay. I'm happy with mine. You can add to your heart's content! Also, I went with a multi-color theme. You could choose to use different hues of the same color to match the decor of the room, or you could choose buttons and brads that are more gender specific. Again, I'm happy with my choice.

As in the tutorial, I purchased a regular frame (with mat included), and simply left out the glass. You could purchase a shadow box if you prefer to have it behind glass. Here's the finished product framed...


And here it is hanging on Sophia's 'art' wall...




All in all, a fun project. The only cost of this project for me was the frame. I already had the card stock and all the decorative items. Be prepared for this to take some time, especially if you add more layers than I did. From start to finish, it took about two hours to complete.

This stuff is addictive. I'm actually working on two other projects right now that are Pinterest inspired as well!!

No comments: