Sunday, January 2, 2011

One Little Word | 2011

I follow the blog of Ali Edwards. Every year for the past several years, she has chosen 'one little word' for the year. Here is her description of the "One Little Work" concept:

"Essentially the idea is to choose a word (or let it choose you) that has the potential to make an impact on your life.

Maybe you want to invite something or maybe you are hoping to subtract something. Maybe your word will be practical or hopeful or creative or fanciful. Maybe you need a big word, something in-your-face that will challenge you everyday. Maybe you need something smaller and quieter that will whisper gentle tidings as you make your way throughout the year.

Whatever word you end up with, make sure it is your word (not your sister’s, mom’s, partner’s, child’s, etc). You can share it publicly or keep it close to your heart."

Last year, I chose the word "Authentic", but didn't share it. Last year's word was really about my personal journey to be more authentic...to be more true to myself. I'm not letting go of that word, just adding a new one for 2011...



I chose this word for a couple of reasons. I have realized that I am very hard on myself. I set high expectations - unrealistic expectations - too often. I am a busy working wife, daughter, friend, and mother to one sweet little child who happens to have some special needs. I also need to realize and acknowledge that I have enough. Here's what "enough" means for me this year:

I have enough.
What I have is plenty great enough.
I am enough.
My work is enough.
My mothering is enough.
My salvation through Jesus Christ is enough.

Also...

Enough of being so hard on myself.
Enough of saying "no" to Sophia when she wants to play/be with me, and much more saying "yes".
Enough of thinking my house has to be *spotless* 100% of the time.
Enough of giving some people/things/situations more importance in my life than they should have.

My goal is to keep my one little word actively present in my life. I'll keep you posted on well I do...

No comments: