Thursday, September 30, 2010

Facebook as journal?

I love journals. All kinds of journals. I love the elements of documentation, preservation and even the emotional benefits that can come from journaling. I also love journals themselves. There are so many to choose from! All the binding options, the cover options, the paper options! *swoon* I even read a book earlier this year titled The Journal Keeper!

What I don’t love about journaling? Well….the journaling. I have bought many a journal over the years, begun writing with a passion and sincere intentions of doing it regularly, only to lose steam after a few entries. I’m not sure why that is. I love to ‘write’ and share stories. I do it all the time on my scrapbooking pages. There’s just something about journaling that creates a road block for me. Maybe it’s that I think journals are only for very private thoughts, not general record keeping. Maybe I get hung up on the grammar piece…using complete sentences, paragraphs, etc. Maybe I don’t really understand what it’s all about.

So, what does this have to do with Facebook? I know Facebook is primarily a way for people to stay in touch and post random things about their lives for all (their friends) to read. It’s also a great way for companies to build loyalty, offer promotions, and share news.

Well, today at lunch, I decided to scan back through several of my wall posts and noticed something interesting—my Facebook page has become very much like a journal about our family. I use it to quickly ‘post’ snippets of our lives. I had never though of Facebook in this way before today, but I see that it can be so much more than simply a broadcast of current happenings.

Here are a few posts that I’m so glad I (and others) made:

September 11, 2009 (from Sophia’s teacher): Great day! She was so dirty when she came back from across the street I almost need to give her a bath.

June 14, 2010: Sophia had a great check up today at the neurologist’s office. She was very impressed with Sophia’s progress. We have an appointment in August with the new developmental pediatrician to order new braces and get an evaluation for the possibility of Botox and a night splint. So happy and proud and THANKFUL for this report and for our extensive support network.

June 26, 2010: A true southern girl….playing outside in the water from the water hose. Sans her dress.

June 27, 2010: (Susan) is listening to the sound of rain. At least, I think it’s rain. It HAS been a while since I heard it…

June 28, 2010: (Susan) recently ‘inherited’ Toby’s old iPhone. All the photos/videos he made are still on here. What a treasure trove!

July 23, 2010: All 3 of us (well, 5 if you count the dogs) were in bed before 8:30 last night. Guess the jet lag is a little worse than what I was expecting!

August 1, 2010: Toby just picked up Sophia to snuggle with her a little bit. I walked over near where they are sitting and Sophia looked at me, stuck out her hand, and said “Go way, Mommy.” Guess I know where I stand…

August 7, 2010: Stopping to smell the flowers on the Fayetteville Square.

August 21, 2010: Overheard from Sophia this evening after she had been swimming in the pool for a while: "I wanna get out. It's too wet."

August 30, 2010: In Sophia’s world, coconuts=fried okra. Who knew?

August 31, 2010: I love my mom. I just called her at 3:00 in the morning to talk because I am in too much pain/too feverish to sleep. And she was totally fine with being woken up in the middle of the night for a little chat!

September 7, 2010: (Susan) is crying. We said goodbye to our sweet Dharma dog this evening. She was one month shy of 13 years, all of which she spent as part of our family. She is now resting underneath the big Bradford pear tree in the front yard...right where the surprise lilies pop up each year. My dad made her the most beautiful box out of c...edar and my mom made sure she has a comfortable pillow to lay on. We miss you already, sweet girl!!

September 14, 2010: Sophia's first question this morning as we were pulling out of the driveway (in the pouring rain): "Where's da wainbow?"

September 16, 2010: Sophia spent 16 minutes talking on the phone with Granny and Pa Paw this evening. I don't know who enjoyed it more.... Well, we know who enjoyed it more, but I'm not sure they understood everything!

September 20, 2010: This is my life: Listening to Ghostbusters on a random September Monday morning because that's what a 5 year old boy requested on one of the XM kids channels. That song never sounded so good because I'm rockin' it with Sophia!!

September 22, 2010: Bath time conversation tonight:

Sophia: "Washcloff"

Me: "Washcloth"

Sophia: "Washcloff"

Me: "Washcloth"

Sophia: "Washcloth"

Me: "That's right!"

Sophia: "It's all part of da plan."

Me: (after I recover from a hysterical bout of laughter) "That's right, sweetheart!"

Guess she watches too much 'Special Agent OSO"...

I hope Sophia can look back on all these posts one day and see them as a small piece of her history. I hope that my ‘friends’ don’t mind me sharing my life this way!

No comments: