Friday, January 1, 2010

and so it begins...


Today, we welcome a new year and a new decade. For many people, this is the time of year that brings reflections on the past year, hopes for the new one, and a chance to start fresh. This year, many people are feeling particularly glad to see 2009 pass into history. Admittedly, it was a challenging year in a number of ways. The economy is the first thing that comes to mind. I have friends who have lost jobs...and are still unemployed. As a banker, I've seen first hand the impact of the housing bust.

I'm choosing, however, to see the positive things. Although the economy has been in dire straights, it has caused more families to focus on what's really important, rather than on the material things. Toby and I are both employed, and we feel blessed. Sophia has made a tremendous amount of progress in the past year. We did receive her official diagnosis in June of 2009, but we've accepted that and are focused on her progress and achievements every day. We are so blessed to have a great health care team working with us!

As we move into the new year, I will not make resolutions.
For me, this is not the time of year to set lofty goals that I probably won't achieve, only to make myself feel bad. I did set some goals at my last birthday, and I continue to work on (some of) those. I will continue to progress on my journey of living authentically, and with intention. I pray that my family and friends will be blessed with a very happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

As an aside, I've started participating in something called Project 365. The idea is simple: take one photo per day that records some aspect of that day. What a great way to preserve small moments of my family's history. The photos can be found here.


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I'm a huge Becky Higgins fan! She also has a new kit out that looks fun! Have fun taking pictutes!