Saturday, January 31, 2009

Christmas 2008, Vol. 2

Christmas morning started bright and early at the Slinkard house. While Toby and I exchanged gifts, we were far more excited to share in Sophia's first ever Christmas morning. Toby prepared a very special breakfast for us. While he was cooking, I suggested we go ahead and open the present I'd noticed under the tree a few days before. It was wrapped in different paper than any we had around the house. Toby said it showed up on the front porch. I assumed it was a gift from one of the neighbors. So, Toby said, "Sure. Go ahead and open it." As I started to peel away the paper, my eyes got really big and my mouth dropped open. It was, in fact, NOT a gift from a neighbor, but rather a very big surprise for me...A flash for my camera!

We'd talked about getting a flash as part of our Christmas this year, but we never went shopping for it together, and I'd thought we'd run out of time. Toby surprised me by making a special trip to Bedford and getting me this great Nikon sb900 flash. We are now able to take even better photos with this very powerful accessory. What a great way to start Christmas morning. I would have the flash to use while Sophia was opening her presents!

It goes without saying that most of the photos I took Christmas were of Sophia. I did manage to capture one of Toby opening on of the gifts I got him for Christmas...


Sophia was interested in opening her presents, but I think the interest was more with the packaging, than the present...


As part of our Christmas morning activities, Toby decided to assemble the Winnie the Pooh riding toy Sophia got Christmas Eve. Sophia was really trying to help Daddy by holding the long handle...


After it was assembled, Sophia had to go for a ride around the house...


After all presents were opened (even Mommy's and Daddy's), Sophia spent the rest of the morning playing with new toys, and generally looking adorable...


It was truly my gift to get to watch Sophia open and enjoy her presents. Of course, she doesn't understand what it all means yet. But soon enough, she will. I feel blessed that we are able to provide her with clothes and toys to help celebrate the season, but as she grows, I want her to learn, understand and appreciate the real reason for the season - Jesus.

Please note that this is not nearly all of the photos we took. I'm a little sad to say that I only got a couple of Toby, and none with me in them. Oh well, next year. I'll try to add all the Christmas morning photos to our flickr page soon.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I love her hair in these photos! So wild and cute!! : )