Wednesday, November 26, 2008

I'm thankful for..

So. The tone of this post is a little different. In all my previous thankfulness posts, I've identified someone(s) or something that I'm thankful for, specifically. Today, I'm no less thankful, but I am a little sad. Sophia had an evaluation today to determine if she needs occupational therapy, in addition to physical therapy. Based on preliminary discussions with the therapist, it appears Sophia will most likely qualify for therapy, meaning there is a distinct need. I was so busy filling out paperwork during the evaluation, that I didn't have much time to focus on the tasks that were given to Sophia and how many she was/wasn't able to accomplish. That's probably a good thing. On the way home, though, I was thinking about why she's having to struggle this way. Why is it harder for her to sit/roll over/crawl/grasp than it is for the majority of other babies her age? The obvious answer is her prematurity. That's the simple answer. Even knowing that, and knowing that her age is still 'adjusted', it's a challenge for me some days. I'm trying to stay focused on the fact that, overall, Sophia is very healthy and happy. Her physical size seems to be okay. She's content. She sleeps pretty well and eats pretty much everything we put in front of her. Yet, all this work and worry about physical development and the delays that seem to be present in Sophia sometimes overshadow all those positives. But, at the end of the day, I get to mug on this adorable child...

and for that, I'm thankful.

No comments: