Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm thankful for..

..digital photography.

Toby and I are very blessed to have a good digital camera. We started out with a smaller, less fancy one, and have graduated to a Nikon D200. We actually got the camera a couple of years ago in advance of our 10th anniversary cruise. I took a few classes offered by the camera store and learned some basics. But, through trial and error, and lots of practice, both Toby and I are improving our photography skills.

The great thing about digital photography is that it lets you improve your skills pretty quickly. You can see immediately if a photo has turned out the way you wanted or not. You can literally shoot thousands of photos, but you don't have to print any of them, if you don't want to. You can upload your photos and cull through all the shots to find the gems.

Because Toby and I like to travel so much, digital photography is a great tool. It lets us bring back images of the places we've been...


Digital photography also helps capture photos that remind you of an event or place, which you can tweak, crop and edit to create a beautiful images...



You can use digital photography to capture an emotion, such as pure joy...


You can use digital photography to capture a single moment in time that represents such a large part of your life...


Digital photography has 'taught' me to take photos of things I might not otherwise have captured...


Most importantly for us, right now, digital photography allows us to catalog the life of our beautiful baby girl...


We've literally taken a thousand photos since her birth. Recently I've assigned myself the task of sorting back through those hundreds and hundreds of photos and organizing, cropping, touching up, and dare I say, purging. I want to save images that tell the story of us. That represent all these little moments of our lives and hopefully leave a photographic legacy for Sophia.

No comments: