Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm thankful for..

..the gift of motherhood.

I would wager to say that the majority of my family (and Toby's) had given up on us ever having a child. To tell the truth, before having Sophia, I wasn't sure I even truly wanted to be a mother. Toby and I were enjoying our lives 'as is'. And, of course, we already had two children of the four-legged (canine) variety. We felt complete, and were in no hurry to add a baby to the mix. It's amazing, really, how quickly our lives changed when we found out we were expecting. The focus shifted. Priorities were tweaked, changed.

What an amazing gift - to be able to carry and deliver a child. How precious that life is. We all know that the 'labor' part of motherhood is just that - lots of hard work. But in exchange for that short period of physical challenge, we are given nine months (OK, ten! Or in my case, not quite eight.) of time to carry another being, another soul, within ourselves. To shelter, protect, and nourish that life in preparation for arrival into our world. We, as women, should cherish this gift, even if we don't bear children of our own. Men will never get to experience having a life growing inside them. To feel the first, tiny kicks and punches. To feel those bouts of hiccups. To feel heartburn twenty-four hours a day!


I recently read these words about motherhood:

"[Motherhood is] the single most profound and transformative rite of passage a woman can experience. Of course, there are other major turning points throughout our lives — puberty, graduations, career achievements, marriage — but none can really compare to the experience of welcoming a child into this world and being responsible for its care. Motherhood is the most precious gift as well as the ultimate responsibility . . . and the doorway to the most extraordinary love you have ever known. It stretches you beyond what you ever imagined you were capable of. It can be a source of supreme fulfillment and, at times, a source of some of the deepest heartbreak."


Truer words have not been spoken. This statement holds true even for mothers whose children are delivered to earth from another womb.

Who would have thought that Susan Slinkard had a 'mommy gene'? Well, apparently, I do. I really love being a mother. Sure, it's hard work. It requires lots of time, energy and wet wipes. But, there is no work that is more rewarding.


I'm blessed to have a good relationship with my mother. I hope that as Sophia grows, I will be a good role model for her. That she will see motherhood as a blessing and that I will be the kind of woman and mother that she will aspire to be.


I love you, Sophia!

"When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child." ~Sophia Loren

No comments: