Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oklahoma City

Last week, Toby was scheduled to travel to Oklahoma City for a regional math seminar sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Mrs. Robinson and Mrs. Dozier were going along as well. Toby suggested that Sophia and I tag along and enjoy some Mommy/Daughter time while they were in sessions every day. So, we did! We took off after school on Wednesday. Mrs. Robinson and Mrs. Dozier rode along with us. We all packed in the Pilot and headed out. We stayed at a hotel just across from the Cox Convention Center, which is where the math convention was held. It also happens to be adjacent to Bricktown, a popular area of Oklahoma City with a water canal, numerous restaurants and shops. When we arrived, we decided to just walk to dinner, then head back to the hotel to get some rest. Here's where we ate...


Thursday morning, Sophia and I got up bright and early and went to visit the Oklahoma City Zoo. It is rated in the top five family friendly zoos in the nation. We got there right after it opened at 9:00a. The weather was perfect! It was a bit cool when we arrived, but by later in the morning, the sun had warmed things up a bit, and it was absolute bliss walking around the zoo. Of course, I did more animal watching than Sophia. I can't tell you what a great time this was for me, especially. I absolutely took my time, meandered, stopped when I wanted to, ate when I wanted to, and in general had a thoroughly good time. It was fun to try to get Sophia interested in the animals. However, about 11:00a, the little gal pooped out, and fell asleep in her stroller where she proceeded to nap for two hours!! Yep, two solid hours. I just kept pushing her round the zoo enjoying my time viewing so many of God's unique creatures. I've included some photos below of some of the animals we saw. You can visit our flickr page to see LOTS more.

Tiger...


Okapi...


Meerkat (for all you Meerkat Manor fans)


Gorilla...
This was one of my favorite exhibits. These creatures are so interesting. They were very close to the viewing glass, taking it easy. Their eyes are incredible.


Zebras, of course.. The foal in the back was just born this past November!


Sophia's favorite...


We did miss a few of the biggies. The two {female} elephants are currently housed at the Tulsa Zoo where they are being introduced to a male elephant in hopes of creating some little pachyderms, and so the Oklahoma City Zoo can redo their habitat. Didn't see any lions; I guess they didn't want to come out and play. Also didn't see any bears; skipped that exhibit. However, I had a fabulous time and enjoyed getting this alone time with Sophia.

After we arrived back at the hotel, Toby was waiting for us. He got Sophia a little bear to play with. The shirt says 'Do MATH and you can do anything'. Appropriate. She seemed to have a really good time sitting on the bed and playing with her new bear...



until she got tired of sitting up...


at which point she just had to lay there and relax after all that hard work...


After we had a little down time, we decided to go out and walk around the water canal in Bricktown some more. The night before, it was dark, so we didn't take any photos. Here are some shots of us in front of one of the water fountains in Bricktown.






On Friday morning, Sophia and I got a little bit of a later start. However, we did get going and decided to visit the Oklahoma City Memorial. I guess since 9/11 happened, sometimes we forget that there was a terrorist act a lot closer to home in 1995. The memorial is quite beautiful. Again, couldn't have asked for better weather. There weren't too many visitors, so we had a peaceful stroll around the grounds. Below is a photo of the reflecting pool.


168 empty chairs representing those who lost their lives that day in the bombing.


Another view of the memorial.


If you ever have an opportunity to visit, I recommend it. The next time I go, I want to go inside the museum, which didn't work out this trip.

When I visit other cities, I like to see if I can find a local scrapbook store. It seems that different stores always carry a different variety of stuff. I found a store south of where we were staying, and Sophia and I went shopping. I did find some neat stuff, though the store was a lot smaller than the primary one we have here in northwest Arkansas. We got done shopping just in time - Toby called and said they were done early, so we could head back to Arkansas! Yeah! A good trip, but always great to get home....

2 comments:

Jessica said...

So glad you got to go with Toby! You have a really nice camera- I love the shots of Sophia! : )

Boop said...

I saw the OKC Memorial last year. There really are no words to describe how those people/families must feel. To think of such a senseless loss is just terrible. Seeing the little chairs representing the kids made me cry. It is truly something to see.